Having brushed shoulders with some of the worlds biggest hip hop names, Melbourne bred photographer Michelle Grace Hunder is fast becoming one of the scenes most recognisable names, without ever picking up the mic.
Having only entered the professional photography realm three years ago, Michelle Grace Hunder has encapsulated, through the lens, a broad collection of Australian urban portraits, with an ever expanding list of high profile international names rapidly building her repertoire.
As well as honing in on individual high profile names, the talents of MGH have been adopted by trend setting brands including Zoo York, Converse and New-Era.
Having not long ago stepped back on home soil after shooting in America, and capturing the likes of Pharoahe Monch, Raekwon, Talib Kweli, Dizzy Wright, SwizZz, DJ Mo Beatz, Michelle Grace Hunder is keenly awaiting the arrival of her very own photography showpiece ‘Rise’. The crowd funded effort showcases the portrait works of the talent, featuring a large collection of artists who have contributed to the Australian hip hop and urban culture.
To secure a copy of ‘Rise’, click here
Before the release of ‘Rise’, Michelle Grance Hunder took us through five of her favourite shots, and why they stand out.
1. ASAP Ferg – Hotel Room in Melbourne. These portraits were taken for an Acclaim Magazine interview, I had around 10 minutes in a hotel room to get a decent shot, ended up liking quite a few and they were actually all published.
2. Pharoahe Monch -Playground in Queens. This isn’t my favourite shot from this set but a number of these photos are unreleased as of yet. This shoot is probably my all time favourite, Pharoahe picked me up from a Jamaica Queens subway station and we went cruising to a few locations. I’d wanted to shoot with Pharoahe for a few years, so it was a pretty exciting day. The locations we went to around Queens were mind blowing, I was so spoilt for choice and it made for some pretty amazing shots that Im really proud of.
3. Remi – At the Espy in Melbourne . This particular photography is my favourite photo I have taken to date. Its the photo that on the front page of my website. Funnily enough it kinda of came about by accident. Remi was waiting to go on stage for his support set for De La Soul, he was literally just leaning against the pool table and I asked him to look up. Such a beautifully natural moment, I love this photo so much. Much of the best stuff I’ve shot of Remi is when we are just hanging out….
4. Don Benjamin – Rooftop in LA – This shot was taken during a shoot for Melbourne clothing label Death By Zero. I got a number of really classic portraits which I love. This one was my favourite. Funnily enough I remember watching Don on American’s Next Top Modeling thinking how amazing it would be to shoot with him, never in my wildest dreams thinking that would actually happen. So that was pretty cool.
5. Dizzy Wright – Taken at Xzibit’s studio in LA – When i rocked up to the studio to shoot Dizzy, he said he wanted a smoking shot. He had to smoke to blunts in a row, and he was pretty happy about that fact.
For more information about Michelle and her works, head on over to michellegracehunder.com