1. How does the track making process begin for you?
Depends on the song really. I like to start with a beat and pretty much sing on top and see what comes out, play around with melody y’know. Generally the song will pick the mood and then the instruments and sounds just go around it. Whatever you write mood wise heightens the way you feel about the subject you’re writing about – so you go with that.
2. Do you write the music or the lyrics first?
On this EP, the music came first.
3. What time of day do you prefer to write music? When are you most creative?
Laaate at night, when my tiredness has clicked past the last mile.
4. What challenges did you face while making the album?
Finishing songs and self sabotage. I am obsessive and a perfectionist.
5. Who was the first person you played the album to in its entirety?
Oooh good question. My girlfriend and one of my oldest friends from school Tegan – she’s had the record since the demos were unmixed. You gotta try things out on people and get a flavour.
6. Describe the record in three words.
Bold, joyful and loving.